Troubling Narcotic Use Found Among Older COPD Patients
Opioids are commonly prescribed to patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). But, for seniors with this condition, that may be a problem.
Changes in Rx Market, Changes in Health
Recent changes in the prescription opioid market might have led to a big step forward in the fight against opioid dependency.
Preventing Painkiller Problems for the Public
Pain medications can be a double-edged sword. People in pain need help. Too much of a good thing, however, can cause addiction and endanger health.
Pregnant or Planning? You May Want to Avoid This Rx
In many cases, pregnancy and opioids don't mix. Still, many women may be prescribed these medications.
Doctors May Hesitate to Prescribe Pain Rx
Some doctors may believe that opioids to treat pain are prescribed too often and pose a risk of abuse. That belief might have made some less likely to prescribe these medications.
Alcohol Often Involved in ER Visits for Prescription Abuse
Alcohol and prescription medications can both be safe in moderation or as prescribed by a doctor. But their abuse and misuse can be dangerous or even deadly, says a new study.
Drug Overdose Deaths a Problem in US
Some medications that were created to help people heal can do major harm when abused. A new report found that death rates from some painkillers and other drugs may be on the rise.
Painkiller Prescription Practices Differ Across US
Medications intended to ease pain can sometimes cause more when an overdose occurs. People in certain US states may be at a greater risk for overdoses based on the prescription practices in those states.
The Changing Face of Heroin Abusers
In recent years, pharmaceutical companies have put safeguards on medications to make it harder to abuse certain prescription painkillers. But those changes may be leading some to use illegal drugs.
Drugged Driving Nearly Doubled in Last Decade
Widespread public education and law enforcement efforts warn of the dangers associated with driving under the influence of alcohol. But new research suggests there's another growing problem to be aware of while on the road.
- Mental Health (16) Apply Mental Health filter
- Neuromuscular Disease (5) Apply Neuromuscular Disease filter
- Patient Safety Education (4) Apply Patient Safety Education filter
- Obstetrics/Gynecology (3) Apply Obstetrics/Gynecology filter
- Mens Health (2) Apply Mens Health filter
- Allergies (1) Apply Allergies filter
- Gastrointestinal (1) Apply Gastrointestinal filter
- Healthy Eating and Diet (1) Apply Healthy Eating and Diet filter
- Infectious Disease (1) Apply Infectious Disease filter
- Low Testosterone (1) Apply Low Testosterone filter
- Pediatrics (1) Apply Pediatrics filter
- Pulmonary Disease (1) Apply Pulmonary Disease filter
- Sexual Health (1) Apply Sexual Health filter