Aygestin is used for the treatment of secondary amenorrhea, the treatment of endometriosis, and the treatment of irregular menstrual periods due to hormone imbalance.
Aygestin is a prescription medication used for the treatment of secondary amenorrhea, endometriosis, and irregular menstrual periods due to hormone imbalance.
Aygestin contains the hormone norethindrone and belongs to a group of drugs called progestins. Aygestin works as a hormone replacement to relieve issues caused by hormonal imbalance.
Aygestin comes in tablet form and is usually taken once daily, with or without food.
Common side effects of Aygestin include headache, breast tenderness, and irregular vaginal bleeding or spotting.
How was your experience with Aygestin?
Uses of Aygestin
Aygestin is a prescription medication used for:
- the treatment of secondary amenorrhea (absence of menstrual periods in women who have previously had a menstrual period who are not pregnant)
- the treatment of endometriosis (a disorder in which tissue that normally lines the uterus grows outside the uterus)
- the treatment of irregular menstrual periods due to hormone imbalance
This medication may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Aygestin Drug Class
Aygestin is part of the drug class:
Side Effects of Aygestin
Serious side effects have been reported with Aygestin. See the “Aygestin Precautions” section.
Common side effects of Aygestin include the following:
- Breast pain
- Irregular vaginal bleeding or spotting
- Stomach/abdominal cramps/bloating
- Nausea and vomiting
- Hair loss
Other side effects include
- High blood pressure
- Liver problems
- High blood sugar
- Fluid retention
- Enlargements of benign tumors of the uterus (“fibroids”)
- Vaginal yeast infections
- Mental depression
This is not a complete list of Aygestin side effects. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.