Codeine treats mild to moderate pain. Do not drink alcohol while taking this medication. Take with food or milk if it upsets your stomach.
Patient Ratings for Codeine
How was your experience with Codeine?
Uses of Codeine
Codeine is used in the treatment of:
- Pain, Postoperative
This medication may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Codeine Brand Names
Codeine may be found in some form under the following brand names:
Codeine Drug Class
Codeine is part of the drug class:
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your doctor if you take:
- CODEINE/POLIOVIRUS VACCINE LIVE
- CODEINE/SODIUM OXYBATE
This is not a complete list of Codeinedrug interactions. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Codeine and Pregnancy
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
The FDA categorizes medications based on safety for use during pregnancy. Five categories - A, B, C, D, and X, are used to classify the possible risks to an unborn baby when a medication is taken during pregnancy.
Codeine falls into category C:
In animal studies, pregnant animals were given this medication and had some babies born with problems. No well-controlled studies have been done in humans, though. Therefore, this medication may be used if the potential benefits to the mother outweigh the potential risks to the unborn child.
There are no well-controlled studies that have been done in pregnant women. Codeine should be used during pregnancy only if the possible benefit outweighs the possible risk to the unborn baby.
No studies have been done in animals, and no well-controlled studies have been done in pregnant women. Codeine should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed.
Take codeine exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully.
The Codeine dose your doctor recommends will be based on the following (use any or all that apply):
- the condition being treated
- other medical conditions you have
- other medications you are taking
- how you respond to this medication
- your weight
- your height
- your age
- your gender
Codeine is available in the following doses:
- Anhydrous Calcium Iodide-codeine 152 Mg-8.4 Mg/5 Ml Oral Syrup
- Aspirin/carisoprodol/codeine 325 Mg-200 Mg-16 Mg Oral Tablet
- Chlorpheniramine-codeine 4 Mg-20 Mg/5 Ml Oral Suspension, Extended Release
- Chlorpheniramine/codeine/phenylephrine/ppa 5 Mg-10 Mg-20 Mg-20 Mg Oral Syrup
- Codeine 15 Mg/5 Ml Oral Solution
- Codeine 15 Mg/ml Injectable Solution
- Codeine 30 Mg/ml Injectable Solution
- Codeine 60 Mg/ml Injectable Solution
- Codeine Phosphate 30 Mg Oral Tablet
- Codeine Phosphate 60 Mg Oral Tablet
- Codeine Phosphate Compounding Powder
- Codeine Sulfate 15 Mg Oral Tablet
- Codeine Sulfate 30 Mg Oral Tablet
- Codeine Sulfate 30 Mg/5 Ml Oral Solution
- Codeine Sulfate 60 Mg Oral Tablet
- Codeine-promethazine 10 Mg-6.25 Mg/5 Ml Oral Syrup
- Codeine/pheniramine/phenylephrine/na Citrate 10 Mg-13.33 Mg-4.17 Mg-83.3 Mg/5 Ml Oral Liquid
Forms of Medication
Codeine is available in the following forms:
- Disintegrating Tablet
- Extended Release Suspension
- Extended Release Tablet
- Injectable Solution
- Oral Capsule
- Oral Solution
- Oral Suspension
- Oral Tablet