(RxWiki News) Another recent TikTok trend, called the #OneChipChallenge, has been sending some to the emergency room.
The 2022 #OneChipChallenge features the Carolina Reaper Chip from Paqui.
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) just published an online article about the need to be aware of trendy online challenges like these. They can be very unsafe.
The #OneChipChallenge has been happening since 2016. But recently, it has sent some kids to the ER.
"This year's high voltage chip contains the super-charged Carolina Reaper Pepper and stinging Scorpion Pepper with a shocking twist, it'll turn your tongue BLUE," the Paqui website reads.
The chip comes individually wrapped in a coffin-shaped box.
The website also states the following instructions to partake in the challenge: "Eat the entire chip. Wait as long as possible before drinking or eating anything. Post your reaction on social media with #onechipchallenge and mention @paquichips," the Paqui website reads.
The website also contains the following warning: "Do not eat if you are sensitive to spicy foods, allergic to peppers, nightshades or capsaicin, or are pregnant or have any medical conditions. Keep out of reach of children. After touching the chip, wash your hands with soap and do not touch your eyes or other sensitive areas. Seek medical assistance should you experience difficulty breathing, fainting, or extended nausea."
And this last recommendation, "We recommend drinking milk or eating ice cream. Consult a physician, if necessary. Please see product warning."
Experts, such as Dr. Gaylord Lopez with the Georgia Poison Control Center, have warned that eating the chips can cause serious harm, according to the New York Post. Some people who have tried this challenge are giving the same warning.
One girl ended up in the hospital for intense stomach pains, the Post reported. She had to be given medications to help ease the pain.
States like Alabama, California and Texas have reported hospitalizations related to this challenge. One student in Texas was reported to have lost consciousness and began seizing while at school.
The hot chips are now being banned by school districts across the country after several reports of kids being hospitalized after trying them.