Pethidine is used to relieve pain. Pethidine is sometimes used as an analgesic for the relief of pain associated with childbirth, and pain before, during and after surgery.
How was your experience with Pethidine?
Uses of Pethidine
Pethidine is used in the treatment of:
This medication may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Pethidine Brand Names
Pethidine may be found in some form under the following brand names:
Pethidine Drug Class
Pethidine is part of the drug class:
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your doctor if you take:
- ESCITALOPRAM OXALATE/MEPERIDINE
- FLUVOXAMINE MALEATE/MEPERIDINE
- MEPERIDINE/SODIUM OXYBATE
- MEPERIDINE/VENLAFAXINE HYDROCHLORIDE
This is not a complete list of Pethidinedrug interactions. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Pethidine and Pregnancy
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
The FDA categorizes medications based on safety for use during pregnancy. Five categories - A, B, C, D, and X, are used to classify the possible risks to an unborn baby when a medication is taken during pregnancy.
Pethidine falls into category C:
In animal studies, pregnant animals were given this medication and had some babies born with problems. No well-controlled studies have been done in humans, though. Therefore, this medication may be used if the potential benefits to the mother outweigh the potential risks to the unborn child.
There are no well-controlled studies that have been done in pregnant women. Pethidine should be used during pregnancy only if the possible benefit outweighs the possible risk to the unborn baby.
No studies have been done in animals, and no well-controlled studies have been done in pregnant women. Pethidine should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed.
Take pethidine exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully.
The Pethidine dose your doctor recommends will be based on the following (use any or all that apply):
- the condition being treated
- other medical conditions you have
- other medications you are taking
- how you respond to this medication
- your weight
- your height
- your age
- your gender
Pethidine is available in the following doses:
- Meperidine 10 Mg/ml Injectable Solution
- Meperidine 10 Mg/ml-nacl 0.9% Intravenous Solution
- Meperidine 100 Mg Oral Tablet
- Meperidine 100 Mg/ml Injectable Solution
- Meperidine 25 Mg/ml Injectable Solution
- Meperidine 50 Mg Oral Tablet
- Meperidine 50 Mg/5 Ml Oral Syrup
- Meperidine 50 Mg/ml Injectable Solution
- Meperidine 75 Mg/ml Injectable Solution
- Meperidine Compounding Powder
Forms of Medication
Pethidine is available in the following forms:
- Injectable Solution
- Oral Capsule
- Oral Solution
- Oral Tablet
- Prefilled Syringe