Refresh Eye Itch Relief
Refresh Eye Itch Relief Overview
Ketotifen is an over-the-counter (OTC) eyedrop used to temporarily relieve itchy eyes due to pollen, ragweed, grass, animal hair and dander. Ketotifen belongs to a group of drugs called antihistamines. It works by blocking histamine receptors and decreasing the release of histamine from cells in the body.
Ketotifen comes as an eyedrop that is applied twice daily.
Side effects may include red eyes, runny nose and headache.
How was your experience with Refresh Eye Itch Relief?
Refresh Eye Itch Relief Cautionary Labels
Uses of Refresh Eye Itch Relief
Ketotifen is a non-prescription eyedrop that temporarily relieves itchy eyes due to pollen, ragweed, grass, animal hair and dander.
Refresh Eye Itch Relief Drug Class
Side Effects of Refresh Eye Itch Relief
Ketotifen eyedrop solution is generally well tolerated and side effects are usually mild. However, you should stop using it and ask a doctor if you experience any of the following:
- eye pain
- changes in vision
- redness of the eye
- itching worsens or lasts more than 72 hours
Refresh Eye Itch Relief Interactions
There are currently no known ketotifen drug interactions.
Refresh Eye Itch Relief Precautions
Do not use
- if solution changes color or becomes cloudy
- if you are sensitive to any ingredient in this product
- to treat contact lens related irritation
Refresh Eye Itch Relief Food Interactions
Medicines can interact with certain foods. In some cases, this may be harmful and your doctor may advise you to avoid certain foods. In the case of ketotifen eyedrops there are no specific foods that you must exclude from your diet when using it.
Before using ketotifen eye drops, talk to your doctor if:
- you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- you are allergic to ketotifen or other medications
Refresh Eye Itch Relief Usage
Ketotifen comes as an eyedrop solution.
It is usually instilled in the affected eye(s) twice daily, 8 to 12 hours apart. Instill ketotifen eye drops at around the same times every day.
Use ketotifen exactly as directed. Do not use more or less of it or use it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
To instill the eye drops:
- Wash your hands using soap and water.
- Pull down the lower lid of your eye with your index finger to form a pocket.
- Hold the dropper (tip down) with the other hand, as close to the eye as possible without touching it.
- Brace the remaining fingers of that hand against your face.
- While looking up, gently squeeze the dropper so that a single drop falls into the pocket made by the lower eyelid. Remove your index finger from the lower eyelid.
- Close your eye for 2 to 3 minutes and tip your head down as though looking at the floor. Try not to blink or squeeze your eyelids.
- Place a finger on the tear duct and apply gentle pressure.
- Wipe any excess liquid from your face with a tissue.
- Replace and tighten the cap on the dropper bottle. Do not wipe or rinse the dropper tip.
- When using this product do not touch tip of container to any surface to avoid contamination.
- If you wear contacts, remove contact lenses before use and wait at least 10 minutes before reinserting contact lenses after use.
Refresh Eye Itch Relief Dosage
- Adults and children 3 years of age and older: Put 1 drop in the affected eye(s) twice daily, every 8 to 12 hours, no more than twice per day.
- Children under 3 years of age: Consult a doctor.
Refresh Eye Itch Relief Overdose
If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
- only for use in the eye
- store at room temperature between 20° and 25°C (68° and 77°F)
Keep this and all medications out of the reach of children.