Make sure the following items are stored out of the reach of children, preferably in a drawer or cabinet with a safety latch or lock.
- Cleaning products, including but not limited to the following:
- All-purpose cleaners
- Laundry and dishwashing detergent. This includes the pods or packets. These can lead to serious harm, because they are highly concentrated.
- Toilet bowl cleaners
- Drain unclogging products
- Personal items, including but not limited to the following:
- Nail polish and nail polish remover
- Mouthwash Perfume and aftershave
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Medications, including over-the-counter medications and herbal/nutritional supplements
Do a clean sweep of the house for small items that can easily be ingested and are choking hazards. These include but are not limited to coins, buttons and hardware (nails, screws, bolts, etc.).
Now that you know what items to remove from your child’s reach, make sure these items are secured. This will help prevent access, poisonings and injuries. These include medications, household cleaning products, knives and matches. When looking to buy safety latches and locks, look for products that cannot be easily opened by children but can be easily used by adults.