Diagnosed with Diabetes — Now What?
2) Keep Your Feet Healthy
In addition to seeing a podiatrist at least once a year, taking care of your feet daily is very important.
Tips to keep your feet healthy:
- Check your feet every day.
- Check for calluses, cuts, sores, blisters, red spots and swelling
- Use a mirror to see the bottoms of the feet
- Wash your feet every day.
- Be sure to use warm water. Never use hot water. This is because some people with diabetes lose feeling in their feet. If the water is too hot, they can end up burning their feet. To prevent this from happening, test the water with your hands first.
- Do not soak your feet
Review Date: April 20, 2016
April 20, 2016