How was your experience with Sulfamethoxazole?
Uses of Sulfamethoxazole
Sulfamethoxazole is used in the treatment of:
- Chlamydiaceae Infections
- Enterobacteriaceae Infections
- Nocardia Infections
- Otitis Media
- Urinary Tract Infections
This medication may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Sulfamethoxazole Brand Names
Sulfamethoxazole may be found in some form under the following brand names:
Sulfamethoxazole Drug Class
Sulfamethoxazole is part of the drug class:
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your doctor if you take:
- FOSPHENYTOIN SODIUM/SULFAMETHOXAZOLE
This is not a complete list of Sulfamethoxazoledrug interactions. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Sulfamethoxazole and Pregnancy
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
The FDA categorizes medications based on safety for use during pregnancy. Five categories - A, B, C, D, and X, are used to classify the possible risks to an unborn baby when a medication is taken during pregnancy.
Sulfamethoxazole falls into category C:
In animal studies, pregnant animals were given this medication and had some babies born with problems. No well-controlled studies have been done in humans, though. Therefore, this medication may be used if the potential benefits to the mother outweigh the potential risks to the unborn child.
There are no well-controlled studies that have been done in pregnant women. Sulfamethoxazole should be used during pregnancy only if the possible benefit outweighs the possible risk to the unborn baby.
No studies have been done in animals, and no well-controlled studies have been done in pregnant women. Sulfamethoxazole should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed.
Take sulfamethoxazole exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully.
The Sulfamethoxazole dose your doctor recommends will be based on the following (use any or all that apply):
- the condition being treated
- other medical conditions you have
- other medications you are taking
- how you respond to this medication
- your weight
- your height
- your age
- your gender
Sulfamethoxazole is available in the following doses:
- Phenazopyridine-sulfamethoxazole 100 Mg-500 Mg Oral Tablet
- Sulfamethoxazole 500 Mg Oral Tablet
- Sulfamethoxazole Compounding Powder
- Sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim 200 Mg-40 Mg/5 Ml Oral Suspension
- Sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim 400 Mg-80 Mg Oral Tablet
- Sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim 80 Mg-16 Mg/ml Intravenous Solution
- Sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim 800 Mg-160 Mg Oral Tablet
Forms of Medication
Sulfamethoxazole is available in the following forms:
- Injectable Solution
- Oral Suspension
- Oral Tablet